Sunday, April 3, 2016


Lesson 1
Name: Jayde Murray                        Date: 3/29/2016                  
  Student Grade: 5th                Reading Level: 645 (3rd)

Objective:
 “Good readers know what books they are interested in to make reading better”

Assessment of Objective: Notes while student reads and conversation after the read

Other Assessments Planned: Interest inventory, spelling inventory, writing sample

Procedures:

Opening: Welcome! My name is Miss. Murray. What is your name? I will be working with you on your reading and writing for a couple of weeks. I am very excited to get to know you and help you develop as a reader. We will be doing an interest inventory and spelling inventory. Then I will have you read aloud to me and then we will be doing a short writing if we have time.
Purpose: Today the purpose is for me to learn about you as a student and a reader.  Also, for you to learn about yourself as a reader and what books you will be interested in to make reading more enjoyable.
            
Procedures:
  1. ·      Interest Inventory- I am going to read the interest inventory aloud to them and the student will write his answers. I will be taking notes on our conversation during this time.
  2. ·      Spelling Inventory- I will read words to you and you will spell them on a piece of paper and I will collect it when you are finished. This will help me figure out what the students needs are to create my word study lesson for next time.
  3. ·      Read aloud- If my students brought a book that is what he is going to read aloud if he did not I will have a few books he can choose from to read. I would like you to read aloud to me. If you have any questions while you read feel free to ask me.
  4. ·      Writing Sample- If we have time I will have them write a few sentences about what they read.


Closing: Thank you for working with me today you did a great job with reading aloud the different inventories we did today. What did you learn about yourself as a reader?


Reflection:
What I learned about the student:
The first time meeting with my student went absolutely great! The name I am going to use for my student is Leonard. He was very open to sharing about himself and did an awesome job reading aloud to me. I noticed that he was great at reading with emotion and going back to correct himself if he made an error. I did an interest inventory with him to see what kind of book catch his attention and just a little about himself. I learned that he is very interesting in science books and mystery books. Another interesting thing I learned is that we both have a lot in common. We love math and science, we have divorced parents, and we are both the middle child. He does not absolutely love reading but he does not hate reading either he just feels neutral about it. After doing the interest inventory Leonard did a spelling inventory with me and that helped me determine that we need to work on his unaccented final syllables. I had him read aloud, as I mentioned earlier he did pretty well with that we just need to work on pace, vocabulary, and a little bit of comprehension. Lastly I had him do a writing sample to see how well he write. I think this area may also need a little extra attention to work on. I am very excited to keep working and learning with Leonard. 

What I learned about myself:
I learned that it is really nice to get one on one time with a student to figure out that individuals needs. As a teacher of a classroom with 20 plus students in it can be hard to find time to get to know your students and what interests them but it is very important to find time to do so. It is fun and important to learn about your students interests, know what there life is like at home if they are comfortable sharing, what they like about school, and what they would change about school. I also learned that when you encourage students and praise them they are going to perform better than if you do not. If you are going to tell a student what they need to work on you should start with telling them about a strength they have, then saying what needs to be worked on, and then ending in a strength. I did this with my student and he seemed very willing to let me help him with what he needs to work on along with using his strength to help him even more. 

What's Next?
Next time we are going to do a motivational survey to see what motivates him as a reader so we can focus on what motivates him to help him become a better reader. We are also going to be doing a running record to check his fluency and see what areas might need a little extra work. Lastly, we are going to be doing a word sort to help him on the areas he struggled during the spelling inventory which are unaccented final syllables. 
Speling Inventory


Writing Sample

No comments:

Post a Comment