Sunday, April 17, 2016

Lesson 5
Name: Jayde Murray                        Date: 4/7/2016                    
   Student Grade: 5th                Reading Level: 645 (3rd)

Objective:
“Good Readers know that spelling patterns are important to decode words and can sort words based on unaccented final syllables.”
“Good Readers can read with fluency for better comprehension.”

Assessment of Objective: To assess unaccented final syllables I will observe if he recognizes the endings of the words while we play memory.
To assess my students’ fluency and comprehension I will be doing a running record and I will be grading him on two fluency rubrics while he reads aloud.

Procedures:

Opening: Today we are going to be working with our word study again and then we are going to focus on fluency. I will have you read a few different passages to me and listen to how you read.
Purpose: The purpose for this word study is to help you easily recognize unaccented final syllables to help you with reading and spelling. The purpose for reading aloud is for you to become a fluent reader so you can will have a better understanding of what you read.
            Procedures:
  1. ·      Word Study- We will play memory with our unaccented final syllable words. The student will start by flipping two cards over, if they match he will keep them if they do not he will flip them back over and it will be the other persons turn. When we flip the words over they will say the word out lout along with saying what it ends with out loud.
  2. ·      Running Record- I will be giving my students a running record to assess his reading and determine his fluency.
  3. ·      Assessing Fluency- I will have the student read aloud to me and I will be assessing his fluency on the two fluency rubrics (NAEP Oral Fluency Scale and Multidimensional Fluency Scale). After the student is done reading aloud I will ask him comprehension questions.
  4. ·      Extra time- practice fluency by modeling fluency to him, showing expression, phrasing, pace. I will also model not using fluency, reading word by word, speaking monotone, reading too fast or too slow. Then I will ask him which was easier to listen to and why?
Closing:
Why is it important to be able to recognize spelling patterns like unaccented final syllables? What can reading fluently help you with?
Prompts to use:

Did that make sense? What is another word that might fit here? Can you reread this?

Reflection:
What I learned about the student:
I started with having my student doing a word study that focuses on unaccented final syllables. This is the fourth time we have worked with these words together. I can really tell he is getting more familiar with the words and starting to recognize the different endings of the words. This time we played memory and when we flipped a card over we had to say the word and say what the word ended in. After that, I had him do a blind sort and he did much better this time only misspelling a couple of words compared to misspelling most of the words last week. It is great to see his growth and improvement that Leonard has made with this word study. Next, I did a running record with him and he did not have any errors out of 102 words and he had four self corrects. It is great to see him correcting himself while reading. This running record was at a 640 lexile level and if I were to do another running record I would maybe choose a lexile level of 670. There is not much of a pattern in the analysis of words with meaning, structure, or visual. I would say teaching prompts in all areas would be beneficial for him and that is something I have been working on and will continue to work on for the last meeting with Leonard. Lastly, I had him read aloud and I checked his fluency on two different fluency rubrics. On the NAEP Oral Reading Fluency Scale I would rate him right in-between level two and level three. He is not quite at level 3 yet but he is very close. There is a picture of this scale below to see the descriptions of each level. On the Multidimensional Fluency Scale I gave him a two for Expression and Volume, a three for Phrasing, a two for Smoothness and two for pace. This rubric is also pictured below to see the descriptions of each rating. I think fluency is where he needs the most work and this might be because of his vocabulary and possible a speech or slight stutter problem. I notice that he says uhh a lot during his reading especially when he comes across a word he is unsure of how to pronounce. It also could very well be that he gets nervous when he reads aloud because he has mentioned that he does not like to read aloud. 

What I learned about myself:
I learned that it is very important to take the time to do word studies with your students because they makes big improvements in a little amount of time. Being about to learn and recognize word/spelling patterns is very important when it comes to reading, writing, and spelling. Fluency is also an important thing to work with children on because if you are not a fluent reader it is much more complicated to focus on the meaning of the text when you are stumbling over words, reading slow, using no emotion, or using improper phrasing. I learned that the littlest teaching moments can make a big difference in a students learning. I am very excited to keep working with students and helping them work on their strengths and deficits.

Running Record

No comments:

Post a Comment