Sunday, April 3, 2016

Lesson 2
Name: Jayde Murray                        Date: 3/31/2016                 
Student Grade: 5th                Reading Level: 645 (3rd)

Objective:
“Good Readers know that spelling patterns are important to decode words and can sort words based on unaccented final syllables.”

Assessment of Objective: To assess this objective I will have the reader do a word sort that focuses on unaccented final syllables.

Other Assessments Planned: I will also be giving a running record and a motivation survey.

Procedures:

Opening: Hi, today we are going to be working on a couple of different things. First we are going to a motivational survey, then I will be doing a running record with you, and last we will be doing a word sort.
Purpose: Today the purpose is for you to begin to understand unaccented final syllables to help decode words and use these patterns to help better your spelling. I also want to learn what motivates you as a reader so we can focus on that to keep you engaged in reading.
            Procedures:
  1. ·      Motivation Inventory- This survey is to help determine what motivates a student to read. With this information I can help motivate my student to become a better reader and enjoy reading.
  2. ·      Running Record- I will be giving my students a running record to assess his reading and determine his fluency.
  3. ·      Word Sort- My student will be sorting words that focus on determining unaccented final syllables. This is going to be his first time sorting the words so we will be doing a closed sort with given categories. I will sort one first, practice a few with him, and then have him complete the rest on his own.
  4. ·      Extra Time- If we have time I will have my students read aloud to me.

Closing: Thank you for working with me today you did a great job. How can recognizing spelling patterns help you as a reader and speller? Did you think of any goals that you want to achieve?

Reflection: 
What I learned about the student:
The second time I met with Leonard we started off with doing the Garfield Motivational Survey. When my student saw that the rating scales were made from different emotions of Garfield he laughed and was excited to fill in the motivation survey. From this survey I learned that my student really likes to get free reading time during the school day, he said that they do not get my free reading time so when they do get that time he is excited to read. He loves to start new books and he loves going to the book store. He would rather play than read and he does not like reading in the summer very much. Basically, he enjoys reading at school but not so much at home and he would rather read for fun than for learning. He strongly dislikes reading aloud, does not like being asked questions about what he read, and does not like reading tests. Next I did a running record with him and the passage was at a 640 lexile level. He did pretty great and made a lot of self corrections during this reading. What I did notice is that he added in words often and changed the ending of words. He made a total of 7 errors out of 100 words. Three errors were from changing the word, two errors were from adding in a word, and the other two errors were from skipping a word. Lastly, we did a word sort to work on unaccented final syllables. This was a closed word sort meaning I had the words written on cards and then I also created the categories he needs to divide the words into. He did very well with the word sort and did not have much trouble with it. There were a couple of words that did not fit into a category and he was confused at first but then just set them aside. When he was finished I said how awesome he did at noticing the ones that did not fit and still taking a second look just to make sure that they did not fit anywhere. When we finished the word sort I had him read through the words and really notice the different endings of each category. We had time at the end to read aloud again so I was able to really pay attention to what we need to work on. After he read I asked him some questions. What is hard about reading for you? "Reading out loud, it is really easy to read in my head, but hard to read out loud." Is it easy for you to remember what you read or do you have to read the text and number of times? "Usually I have to read it a few times to remember what I read". This is going to help me with my next lesson. 

What I learned about myself:
I learned that running records are very face paced and require your full attention. While doing the running record with Leonard it was hard to multitask marking the errors, paying attention to what he is reading, and hearing him clearly with a lot of other students and teachers around working. In the future when I have to do running records it would be nice to have a quieter environment so I can really hear what words the student is saying. Also, I need to remember to write down self corrections. He made a lot of self corrections but I did not get them written down because I forgot that we were supposed to. 

What's Next?
Next time we are going to be working with the word sort again but instead of a close sort it will either be an open sort or a blind sort. This makes the sort a little harder and the student really has to notice what the differences and similarities are with the words. I will also be doing a comprehension lesson with him and teach him a comprehension strategy that he cause use while he is reading. I decided to do a comprehension strategy instead of a fluency strategy because he said that he has a hard time remembering so that is what we are going to focus on.  
Read Aloud
Garfield Motivation Survey




Word Sort/ Unaccented Final Syllables

No comments:

Post a Comment