Sunday, April 10, 2016

Lesson 4
Name: Jayde Murray                        Date: 4/7/2016                   
    Student Grade: 5th                Reading Level: 645 (3rd)

Objective:
“Good Readers know that spelling patterns are important to decode words and can sort words based on unaccented final syllables.”
“I can read one text many times for a different purpose each time.”

Assessment of Objective: To assess the first objective my student and I will play a word sort game. To assess the second objective the student will make marks on their poem and answer questions asked by the teacher.

Other Assessments Planned: none

Procedures:

Opening: Today we are going to play a game that is similar to Go Fish to help you recognize unaccented final syllable patters. Then we will read the poem Abandon Farmhouse, we will read it three times, each time for a different purpose. This is called a close read, close reads help us better understand a text.
Purpose: The purpose for the word study is to help you easily recognize unaccented final syllables to help you with reading and spelling. (The purpose for the poem is under each reading below)
            Procedures:
  1. ·      Word Study- The student and I are going to play “Go Fish/I’m Out” spelling game to help recognize unaccented final syllable patterns.
  2. ·      Close Reading-
Reading 1-
Purpose: What is the poem mainly about?
Questions:
1.     Who lived in the farmhouse? Circle the clues that tell you who lived in the farmhouse.
2.     Using the details from the poem how would you describe the man?
·      Reading 2-
Purpose: This time when we read we will focus on what words in the poem help describe the farmhouse.
Questions:
1.     Underline the words used in this poem to help describe the farmhouse. How do these words make you feel?
2.     What do these words say about the farmhouse
·      Reading 3-
Purpose: For the last reading we are going to focus on what the text means.
Questions:
1.     What do you think went wrong in the farmhouse?
2.     What is the tone of this poem?


Closing: Thank you for working with me today you did a great job. What did you learn about reading one text multiple times? Did this method help you? How or how not? Did the game help you with recognizing unaccented final syllables?

Reflection:
What I learned about the student:
In this lesson we play a game similar to "Go Fish" with our word sort words. It worked like this: I would say I have the word fable, ending in le, do you have a word that ends with le? If they did I would get that match, if they didn't I would grab another card. This game fit very well with working on recognizing the endings of the words because you had to verbalize what it ended with. If was a fun was to get more practice with unaccented final syllables. This game went very well and we got through all of the words. Once we got through the game I had him do an open sort, he had to make up his own categories, and that went really awesome too. He was able to sort them all correctly and remembered what categories he needed. After he sorted them all I and him say the word and what the unaccented final syllables were. He did awesome! I can see that he is recognizing the endings more each time we work with the words. I still think it will be good to work with the words for a little bit longer before we try a closed sort again. After our word study we practiced close reading. I opened up with the objective and explained that when you read a text more than one time you discover new things about the text and you have a better understanding each time you read the text. For this close reading Leonard read the poem Abandon Farmhouse written by Ted Kooser. The first time through he stumbled over quite a few words and was not sure what the entire reading was about. I just had him focus on who lived in the farm house and what words did the poem use to describe the man in the farmhouse. He did a great job with underlining textual evidence showing who lived in the farm house and what the given characteristics were of the man. He was able to do this all on his own and did not have a hard time doing it. For the next two reading we focused on different purposes and he was able to answer my questions easily. He also became more fluent in his reading each time he read the poem. So he learned that not only does reading a text many different times help you comprehend but it also becomes easier to read each time through. At the end he could tell me exactly what them poem was about and a lot of key details that were in the poem and how the words in the poem could make a reader feel. I was very happy with how great he did for this lesson.

What I learn about myself:
I learned that using prompts to help a reader figure out a word is really helpful instead of just telling them the word. That way if they are reading by themselves and do not have anyone to ask what a word is they can decode the word on their own by using the skills taught through trying many different prompts with the student. I would like to keep practicing different prompts so it becomes an automatic skill I can use with the students to help them grow as readers. My goal is to try different prompts for these last couple of meetings with my student. 

What's Next?
We are still going to focus on the same word sort until Leonard becomes very comfortable with the words and can complete a blind sort with at least 85% correct. Next time we are also going to focus on fluency and learn why fluency is important to being a good reader. I will also be doing another running record with my students to see where he is at with his reading. 

Close Read

No comments:

Post a Comment